"We kiss the sweetest of Snickerdoodles, and teach the fragile Butterflies how to fly..."

"We kiss the sweetest of Snickerdoodles, and teach the fragile Butterflies how to fly..."

Friday, September 10, 2010

Just one of those days

Lots of people ask me, "So, how was it living without a bathroom or faucets or electricity?". Most of the time I answer them with a positive remark about it being very satisfying and gratifying, but hard work sometimes.
What is hard to remember now that it's all over, is the days like THIS ONE:

One of the older boys had left a glass of milk on the counter for some reason. I had started getting the coffee ready for breakfast, yet somehow got distracted. When I came in to get the butter for the pan, I remembered that I should probably get the coffee on first, as it takes much longer to perc.

So the butter dish was open. The milk glass was full. The perculator was full of water. All I had to do was open our glass canister of coffee grounds, and spoon the grounds into the metal filter.

ONE of my fingers were wet, from filling the perculator.

SLIP goes the canister from my hand, cracking it in half, shooting one piece across the counter to knock down the glass of milk, and dumping grounds into our precious butter.


I started cleaning it up, trying not to cry (As my pan burns on the wood stove..), when Jason came over, and said, "Mom, sometimes bad things just happen. Even mommies break things."

Trying to grasp some sort of comedy in the situation, I decided to step back, and realized it was a moment to be captured forever, as I was SURE some sort of moral could be grasped from what happened, at a later time and date.

Mostly as I see it now, there was no moral OR comedy. It was kinda funny that it all had happened in a domino effect, but I think this picture is to remind me about how God got me through those hard days when everything went wrong, and that I should be grateful for those times, and the ones I am having now, now that life is a little more simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment