"We kiss the sweetest of Snickerdoodles, and teach the fragile Butterflies how to fly..."

"We kiss the sweetest of Snickerdoodles, and teach the fragile Butterflies how to fly..."

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chicken soup for Heather's Soul


Stupid title for a blog...but I am SO happy!

If anyone knows me, they know that I hate chicken with bones. Hate touching it, looking at it, and eating it...raw OR cooked!
So, when deciding what to have for dinner last night, I opened the fridge and realized I had a bunch of thigh/leg pieces frozen that really needed to eventually get eaten. At the time we got them, Grace was with us and Jonathan & I figured she could de-bone them for us. She is gone, and only Heather's hands remained. Ugh.

I decided to make my own recipe for chicken soup...complete with shredded, de-boned chicken. I would close my eyes and do it if necessary :) I boiled the chicken, and then put it on my cutting board. The first piece, I was like, "ok, I can do this..". By the third piece, I was so near puking that I took a break to do laundry, and work on the rest of the soup (the chicken stock, potatoes and carrots, spices, etc.). I came back to the chicken, and remembered that there IS an easy way out there with the least steps possible for de-boning the chicken and getting the certain chunks of meat off.
I started methodically doing it...yanking off all the skin/fat at once, stripping the leg bone all at once of its meat, and then grabbing the thigh and ripping the meat of with my hands (I had previously been shredding the meat off with a fork, incase you were wondering).
It was so fast! I had a much better time with the last 2 pieces!!!

So, then I added some cooked rice to the pot, and put everything on a slow boil...OHHH...it was so good, and I am delighted at how healthy too :)

So, Heather braved the bones, tendons, and veins in the chicken, and came out successful! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment