"We kiss the sweetest of Snickerdoodles, and teach the fragile Butterflies how to fly..."

"We kiss the sweetest of Snickerdoodles, and teach the fragile Butterflies how to fly..."

Thursday, October 30, 2014

"I SPY" Bags (DIY)

Well I figured for this weekend, I would share about my "I Spy" Bags!

Now, if you were like me, you had NO idea what these were! When I think "bag" I immediately think of a purse-like item, and "I spy"??? I was thinking of a collage-covered diaper bag, to be honest, lol!
But, in all actuality, they are essentially BEAN BAGS! Who would have thought! Now, many people use Rice, as in this tutorial: http://lindsaypinds.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-spy-bag-tutorial.html
Or Polly-Pellets, as in this photo: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgtpaRhUJl7JnEVGFeZgVV4W87fqJK2I3vfJtPDvJdblEQwBJOcagYbO4HOlGG-roSDTTOs_CYq6UFHqFDx78rrVMMm8HHZS5tfCr3-d2qAAdfFNfcNTl1XnVmyH62vsQ-I5iQZWUY8uHM/s400/i-spy-bag-web.jpg
I personally am hooked on natural, and LOVE the look of an *actual* bean bag, so I use beans in all of mine! Black is my favorite, but white is another great option. Pinto beans can be a little busy, so only do those for older children (IMO), and then red is good, but can clash with your color scheme, so just make sure you coordinate the color beans with your fabric print :)
There are so many different ways of making these fun toys, and the results are so rewarding! I made my first "I Spy" bag for my son one Christmas when we were short on funds, and a "homemade Christmas" was our only option. It turned out GREAT! That winter was when I first started selling my products online, and the orders started pouring in my etsy shop!
To give you a rough idea, here is what you'll need for an average sized bag:
♥ 2 8x8 pieces of fabric
♥ 10-20 trinkets (Can anyone say dollar store!?)
♥ 4x4 piece of clear vinyl (like the kind quilt/blanket bags are made of, or recieving blankets come in. Make sure its THICK, not the thin cheap stuff!)
 ♥ Photo paper (if you can print at home...otherwise go to a local photo kiosk)
♥ 1lb Beans (or rice)
♥ Various Scrapbook paper pieces
♥ Ribbon
♥ Clear Laminate/Packaging Tape
Now, I am not doing a step-by-step tutorial here, just giving you an idea of what it'll take :)

The window, I would suggest making smaller, for older children, and larger for younger children...and have fun with your fabric choices and prints! This one was spiderman, from an upcycled pillowcase!
This Monkey one, was actually a bandana from walmart! I doubled-up the fabric, so it was nice and thick. *ALWAYS* do doubled-edge sewing (go around twice). These things will get alot of abuse at little kids' hands, and you don't want the fabric busting open and beans/toys everywhere! :(
Do Double stitching around the vinyl window...and then put right sides facing each other, sew around, leaving a hole to turn right-side-out.
When you get that done, fill with your toys, and beans. Place your ribbon in the hole, and sew closed, continuing all around the bag. This gives 2 seams to the bag :) If you want to be VERY thorough, go around the outer edge again!
For the card, I always take a photo of my trinkets before they go in the bag. I print with dollar-store photo paper (great quality, by the way!), in my standard printer, and it always looks great! Now get into scrapbooking mode....paste/glue your photo onto a paper back that coordinates with your spy bag (as seen above). You can use other pieces of coordinating paper scraps to get creative, but make sure your writing/pen is clearly visable (Silver on black, darker colors on red/yellow/pink/blue/etc.).
Use your paper laminate or clear packing tape, and do both sides of card, then trim to about 1/4" edge. Punch hold in card, thread ribbon through, and tie in a knot (then a bow, if you wish).
Voila! I hope you have fun Crafting this weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment